Presenting with an iPad

IMG_1680Along with the students the teachers are also trialing the iPads.  So I took the iPad to the IWBnet10 conference in Melbourne and had two presentations to give.  I made it my goal to use the iPad for both presentations.
How did it go?

I was nervous and took my laptop just in case.  On arrival I was told I need to use a USB to put a flip chart on and to run the participant survey……What!  The  iPad doesn’t have a USB drive so the flip chart won’t activate on the iPad.

Unfortunately I didn’t bring a dongle for my laptop as I thought I was using the iPad. We weren’t told about the participant quiz being tied to a clicker.

Keynote on the iPad…..hmm the screen doesn’t show the slide so I had to keep turning around.  The lectern was not flexible at all.  So I had to turn around to see what was on. Later I remembered that if you pressed on the symbol the thumb nails of the keynote would appear.  I need to practise more with using the iPad for a presentation.  I also remember reading if you tap and hold a laser pointer is available but I didn’t try it. Perhaps it was not the best time to be trying out stuff but I wanted a real scenario not a made up one to see how I went using it under pressure.  Just like teachers feel in class when they are starting out using technology.  Its good for you to be put back into that space when you were just beginning to use technology.

It was easy to get my presentation on the iPad.  Under the apps tabs below is a window that list apps on the iPad that allow files to be dragged onto them.   Keynote is one of these apps. So it’s just drag and drop.  Good reader is also great as many types of files can be dragged on and then opened on the iPad like PDF files.

The iPad was much lighter to walk around the conference with each day and easier to get out and use on the run.   It was great to use soundpaper and audio note to take notes in the sessions and record for personal listening for later.  Also twitter was easier to send.  There were many people with iPads.

I used it again for my second keynote the next day. I remembered the thumbnails but still turned around to see the screen as I changing from camera on the document camera to the PC (iPad) as I was showing some apps on the iPods for my literacy and numeracy presentation.

I am not up to speed with using the iPad for presentations but will keep on working at it because the light weight is so much better on my shoulder.  Persistence.
I also discovered that duplicam does share photos from my iphone to the iPad via blue tooth.   I had previously thought that it would only work via a network.

5 thoughts on “Presenting with an iPad

1. Thanks for your comment. I hope people find something useful in my posts. It seems we are all back at the starting blocks learning the ins and outs of a new piece of ICT. I like to feel as the beginners do as it makes me have more empathy when I am called to help. Something we need to be good ICT coaches.

2. You’re not a beginner Jen, you’re an early adopter! I think you were self conscious because I didn’t notice that you had to keep turning around to see the iPad.
    I’m glad you are working out the glitches before the rest of us, slow with the uptake, people try to present with the ipad. 🙂
    See you at the next conference.

3. Thanks for the comment Lois. I was feeling nervous and like I’d left my security blanket at home. I hope we get to go to the next conference, NZ doesn’t look too good after the earthquake.

4. Pingback: RUConnected #21 Leading a Digital School & iPad Trial Progres | Are You Connected?