Credit and Syncing to PC

We still have a way to go to get all students up and running with all apps downloaded. One student purchased an app not on the list and used up credit. Hmmm.

We have decided to give the students from last year some more credit ($20) however it will be in a school iTunes account not their home account so we don’t lose the apps. To do this I have created email accounts for each iPad and forwarded them to my email. Then I created iTunes accounts and added the credit. Buying $40 for $30 has worked well and saved a lot of money at 25% off.

Today we synced the iPads back to the school computers. This was a two step process involving authenticating the computer and transfering purchase to this computer. Some student got the transfer message but it only transferred the music. I later remembered the control click on the named iPad in iTunes and then you select transfer purchased items. This time all the apps came into their iTunes library at school. It was interesting as some students had apps that were not purchased by them and then couldn’t authenticate the apps for the computer.

I have found that some students shared their iTunes account last year and reinstalled a previously bought app on another students iPad in return for the downloading of the games apps. This was illegal and has been spoken about at length with the students.

The forwarding of the emails from iTunes is working very well as I can see what the students are downloading from their school accounts. This is very useful also for the bursar keeping up with iTunes credit.
If you go to www.itunesonsale.com there is a calendar of itunes cards specials in Australia. I wonder if it works in other countries.

2 thoughts on “Credit and Syncing to PC

1. Hi Jen

Did last year’s kids use the iPads to download new apps this year, or do they all sync to computers at school?

Do the kids know the password for the new accounts?

I found that, when kids don’t know the password, they try to update their apps by entering their own password (or trying to guess). This ends up locking you out of the iTunes account, and you need to reset your password.

The stupid thing is that it just tells you that your password is incorrect (even though you are putting it in correctly), rather than telling you that it is locked due to unsuccessful attempts.

Our kids now download the apps at home. With 250 of them, it is going to be hard to keep a track on who has done it and who hasn’t…

The syncing apps bit is not fun – I’m glad that it’s mostly out of my hands!

Deon

2. Sorry this such a late response. Our kids have mainly downloaded the apps on the iPads first. From last year I found many had not synced anywhere. (dangerous) We have authorised the school computers in the students network account so I am wondering which computer is authorised, the local one they are on or the server? I think it must be the local computer as there is a limit of 5 iTunes accounts per computer and we would have been disallowed to authorise. So we’ll have to keep a track of which computer they are authorising so they don’t get too many and leave room for the one at home.
    The kids have access to the passwords for the iTunes accounts & they can use it to download however they don’t have access to the email password. I can change the iTunes account password at anytime and have done so already with misuse.

So the students will transfer apps to school computers and at home and have the itunes account authorised on up to 5 computers. I will be changing the iTunes passwords during the year and we can deauthorise computers at anytime and just authorise a school account.

It is much more work having the students downloading the apps as you still have to keep a check on what they are downloading and although it is stated as a parent role not all parents supervise this.

I am randomly checking iPads and deleting unsuitable apps as I find them. On the other hand it is very powerful for students to find apps that help with learning and to promote them for other students. It allows for learning at the speed of need and puts the student in control of their learning.

I had a comment from an ex student about the netbooks use at their new sec college. “They’re not as good because we aren’t administrators so we can’t add anything to the netbook this year.” Imagine your laptop coming in lockdown. I couldn’t work like that. Could be the same with iPads. Choice allows for individualised learning.