Collaborating and sharing files

DropboxLast week we investigated using Dropbox on the iPads so we could hand in and share work.  Before working with the students I had already created a dropbox account for the class.  We are going to share that drop box.

So in class –

First we downloaded the dropbox app.  Next students shared a photo or screen shot they had taken.  We do have an iPod Touch with a camera and use duplicam for students to get a photo on their iPads along with the hundreds of photos available on our school intranet Photo Gallery. Then we discovered that you need to select the photos folder first and then upload the photo.  It is very easy as you tap the camera icon and are sent to your photo gallery.  It couldn’t be easier. So that had photos covered but how can we put keynotes or anything not an image into dropbox?

Sendtodropbox

After some googling I found sendtodropbox.com

This allows you to send an attachment to dropbox via email and we all know that many apps allow you to share via email.  So this will easily allow the students to share and hand in work plus be organised into folders.

By adding the dropbox account details into sendtodropbox you are then given an email address to use to sendto.  The part I liked was that you can set it up so that the subject of the email becomes a folder or looks for a folder with that name to put the attachment into.  You could have the students put their name in the subject and then they would have their own folder or you could put the topic in the subject and that would be the folder.  As long as the attachment is properly saved with topic and student name.

I found that students weren’t naming their keynotes and just leaving them as presentation 2 etc.  So another skill has been learnt and sharing has begun.  Sharing work to have others add to will also be a use of the dropbox folders.  I sent our timetable and now all students have it in their iBooks.  It was sent as a PDF file.

I think dropbox will have some great uses  and it will be interesting to see how it goes for space as we are allowed 2gb per account.  Perhaps the shared folder will be used in the future also. I am yet to find out about the shared folders capabilities.  Do you use dropbox? If you have any ideas please share them as I would love to know how others are using dropbox in the classroom. Teachers can view the files and add comments then students can look again and read comments etc and make changes if necessary.

Of course you can get dropbox on your laptop, desktop and phones so student work can be accessed everywhere/anytime.

4 thoughts on “Collaborating and sharing files

1. A question: can kids remove other kids’ work? Do they all know the password, or did you enter it, and it remembers it?

I don’t have a problem with kids having access – it’s part of the mutual trust involved in sharing and collaborating – just like a wiki or Google doc or titanpad.

Many teachers are scared of this, though.

2. Hey another one – do your kids use GoodReader?

Being able to pull in attachments from an email account is awesome.

You can email something to them, and they can store it offline very easily.